Thursday 14 June 2007

Creativity

As humans we are born with it. As children its a big part of learning but then what happens? Why do so many people say 'I would love to try......... (insert something creative) but I am frightened'.

Frightened of what? Wasting a few sheets of paper, skeins of yarn, sticks of charcoal? Frightened they won't be good enough, frightened they will be too good?

Its not just once or twice I have heard this but time and time again. I wonder why this happens. Is it the pressure put on people to succeed? Is it their schooling or parenting? What is it that makes people think that crafting is an exclusive club and that they can't be in it?

I wish I could reach out to those people. I have been chatting to a lovely lady from Australia, who has had the same block and overcome it. I have mentioned to her that it might be a good idea to start a group for those who would love to create but are too afraid to try. A bit of hand-holding, a bit of a nudge may be all it needs to start someone on a journey of creativity, whatever it may be.

If you enjoy the journey, even if its that thrill as you swirl colour onto paper for a painting that never gets 'finished' or choosing the colours for a jumper that you never get to the end of knitting, if you have enjoyed those moments then surely its worthwhile.

Just my thoughts and applying to no-one in particular. As I mentioned at the beginning I have heard the same thing time and time again.

It makes me sad.

No comments: