Wednesday 6 June 2007

Socks - she's been and gawn and done it!

I have finally succumbed and bought some sock yarn and all the associated stuff. So jealous of those who can manipulate those four needles. What put me off before was that I have the attention span of a gnat and I just know I would knit one and then get fed up but I saw an intriguing article on Knitty about knitting two at once, using the same principle as I am going to use for the Pirate Queen bag, so watch this space. Chose the most funky yarn I could find as its no point knitting socks if they don't look like handmade ones is it. Besides they are the most expensive socks I will have ever owned and I want these to be SPECIAL!

Going to hide my card as I have been spending too much on yarn again. I hesitated over the 'make payment' button and then a song came into my head that my nan used to sing to me, it went something like 'Enjoy yourself, its later than you think' so, in honour of nan, I did it.

She used to be a great knitter and would laugh at my technique, in a kind way. She was able to hold the needles and throw the yarn. I have to drop the right needle to do it, still have to. Her needles were a veritable blur and she could knit lace, chat, smoke a fag and watch telly all at the same time. She was a real Cockney and a very funny lady. I miss her.

One slightly worrying thing is that all the demos I have seen for the double knitting technique are in the 'foreign' way of holding the yarn in the left hand and sort of ducking the needle under it. I knit European style (unsurprisingly) and wrap the yarn round from the right. So, I will have to adapt it. I suppose I could use the sock yarn for a scarf if all else fails :D

I did experiment with the yarn on the other side and all the stitches came out twisted on the next row. I would really like to meet someone who knits like this so I could see how its done.

Any volunteers to show me?

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Ok, you literally just need to hold the yarn up over your left index finger behind the knitting, then pluck it forward towards you through the loop/stitch on needle with the right needle, would be much quicker if I could only perfect it, but old habits die hard.

Joanna said...

me again, is that the method where you knit one sock inside the other? I've just finished a pair of socks knitted side by side on 2 circs, toe up,following Knitty magic toe up cast on, have done double points but have found 2 circs is my personal pref until I try out the magic loop method, definately with you on the knitting two together!

Jackie said...

Hi Jo

Yes, it looks simple until I try to do it :D I suppose its how you learn, its difficult to change from that once its ingrained. I started as a child with hideous plastic needles.

Unfortunately, my mum makes Atilla the Hun look like a patient person and would snarl 'its all twisted again' because I used to knit through the back of the stitch often by mistake. To be fair she did teach me the basics so I can't complain.

My girls are not interested. 'Mum it takes so looooong' they say. Thats the point say I, its not instant, you enjoy the creation and the satisfaction of knowing you made something. They are not convinced. When I was a child I thought it magical that someone could take a ball of yarn and turn it into something. I was desperate to learn. I suppose instant gratification is the order of the day now.

on to your second comment - yes, thats the technique, brilliant if you can master it I think - especially for those like me who would do one sock and then put of doing the other.

Just read what I wrote and I am just as bad as the kids in my own way :D :D

HOpe you are well, happy and having a great day.

Best wishes, jackie x