Saturday 9 June 2007

The world is getting smaller....

Thinking last night about the internet and what a difference it has made to my life. I was chatting (via mail) to a lovely artist in Australia, a lady from the watercolour group in the US and to an English man who lives in France. Sometimes it just fills me with wonder, what an amazing invention. I was watching an art programme from the US via the internet, looking at a yarn dyeing tutorial from Australia, amazing really. I am learning so much from all over the world and meeting some wonderful people too.

I had a mail this morning from someone in my weaving group, who has a peg loom she doesn't use anymore, she said I can have it for the cost of the postage. I am constantly surprised by the generosity of people. I hope to 'pay it forward' soon.

But I am just an old hippie at heart.

Have some work to do for a landscape group I joined. I have to produce a pastiche of a watercolour. I have a slight problem in that my 'studio' (corner of the kitchen!) is one side of the house and the monitor is in another part of the house entirely. I did read of an old master who used to do something like this deliberately, put the subject of the painting in one room and the students painting in another. This was to train the students to look carefully. There is a positive in every situation if you look for it I suppose.

Have lots to do today and 9 am is the time I have set to start. Time for one more coffee first.

Happy weekend to anyone reading this.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Hey stalker, this stalking business is great! At least I'm not lonely. I dye most of my fibre before I spin it, or mix/card colours together. I did a bit of dying yesterday afternoon, koolaid dyed some merino fibre probably for spindling, and dyed up some silk hankies too, and overdyed some yarn which I had spun because i didn't like the original colour. Neo keeps asking to do some painting so we will go outside if it stays nie today and do some daubs, cashew later!! I also think its geat you joined the whirls, its a really nice group too!

Joanna said...

btw, about the link there are two spaces...in the first one you put the http link...in the second one you can just call it Freestylefibre...instead of all the gumph...not being critical, I'm honoured to be the first blog on your roll!

Jackie said...

Hi Jo

I like being a stalker, I have discovered some interesting places that way, thank you x

Thanks for the tip about the link. I can't do links, I always make a pig's ear of them. I will go fix it when I have had my Weetabix :D

I am supposed to post links to my paintings on a watercolour group I belong to. Haven't got one right yet. It drives them crazy.

I like Kool Aid dying. Managed to get a huge pile of short date ones. They are all clumpy but it doesn't matter, they still work fine. I just can't believe people actually DRINK it though!

Have you ever seen landscape dyes from Australia, trying to track some down. I toyed with the idea of natural dyes but am scared of mordants.

Thanks for the post about the Babe wheels, getting a few shipping quotes, including one for an electric tabletop (lazy mare that I am).

Looking at the woolfest or is it fibrefest site earlier. Shame its so far away or I would stalk you there too mwaaahaaa.

Show us your daubs later, I showed you mine ;-)

Have a great day stalkee xxx