Thursday 7 June 2007

Watercolour

Have been painting today. Haven't done any for a while but today the urge was upon me! I painted my first ever portrait, an African lady from the cover of New Internationalist magazine. I have had it in my pile of inspirational material for a few months but today it called to me.

I was pleased with the overall result, as it was my first effort at painting a human, I usually paint flowers, the eyes were hard to get right but I was happyish with them in the end. The skin was absorbing to paint, i started light and built up some layers. It was hard to mix the right colour but I was quite happy with the skin in general. The only thing that I really didn't like was the lady's headdress. It was a turban-like affair only puffier and it has come out looking like a multi-coloured afro. But, overall not a bad first attempt. I may post it if I get up tomorrow and still like it. Still have a little to do possibly.

Just got back from walking the dogs, been leaving it very late as I love dusk in the summer. Bats swooping overhead as I walked back. Didn't see the deer or any rabbits today but we saw another dog walker who had probably frightened them away. Its very unusual to see anyone else where I walk, probably only a handful of times in a year. The farmer has put cows in one of the fields I cross, thats fine, my dogs are steady with livestock, but there are cow pats all over the place and the grass is quite long. Am wearing sandals now so I have to be careful where I walk :D My staffie sometimes rolls in it if I am not paying attention...

Well, going to do some reading tonight, have a rug weaving book to look at. Was going to knit but the mood isnt upon me today for some reason. My dishcloth cotton came. Its nice and did cast on for a nubbly washcloth but will leave that for tomorrow as its going to take more concentration than I can muster tonight.

Have had some more contact from readers of my blog, I love to hear from people who read my blog, it has something of a 'message in a bottle' feel about it otherwise.

Maybe more later if anything thrilling occurs to me. Don't hold your breath :D

No comments: