Saturday 30 June 2007

V&A and Spinning Wheel...

Had the best birthday for a long time! The day out with my daughter was really special. Now they are almost grown there hardly seems a day when they are not doing something or going somewhere so I really enjoyed spending time with my youngest.

We walked our legs off and still didn't see everything. Had a few laughs at some of the fashions, especially when I pointed to things and said 'oh, I had an outfit like that in the eighties'. It was touching to see some of the very old dresses, particularly the bridal gowns and it struck me how TINY they were. We were amazed at the waist sizes and thought that we would need a very strong corset to get anywhere near that size.

The paintings were our favourites though, some cartoons by Raphael were awe inspiring but the best ones to us were a collection bequeathed to the V&A by a gentleman called 'Mr Sheepshanks' . I like the way the V&A is organised chaos, things are not grouped chronologically but in rooms called things like 'China' and 'Asia', this is a bit confusing until you just go with the flow and just enjoy the beautiful and interesting objects.

We had plenty of stops for drinks, as it was the one dry and warm day this week, particularly enjoyed our lunch in a little cafe near the V&A called 'Greenfields' and a quick coffee stop we had in the garden within the V&A itself, there is a shallow pool surrounded by lemon trees.

A wonderful day and we decided to go out together a bit more often. National Portrait Gallery next....

My spinning wheel arrived today, haven't had much of a chance to have a look at it yet though.

Well, thats all from me for tonight, have to go and feed the dogs, they are saddened by all this rain, they are not keen on it. Neither am I to be honest. I can't remember such a rainy June.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jackie, i hope you're far from all the drama over there...?

Nan said...

A day out with a daughter is just the best treat.

Jackie said...

Hi Jan

The flooding or the terrorist attempts? Fortunately both are not very near us. Have lived with terrorist threats all my life as far back as I can remember, because of Northern Ireland, so its not new to us. Bag searches, posters, special curtains in the office where I used to work to catch flying glass, that sort of thing.

My daughter is flying to Spain later today to visit her gran and aunt, so I am worried about that, but I worry about her anyway - part of being a mum I suppose.

Sun's out here today for a change!

Hope you are ok, have you finished school yet?

Hope you are well and happy and looking forward to your holidays.

J xxx


Hi Nan,

Yes, it was the best day! We don't get to do it often enough as she is busy with school and she works part time and spends her day off with her dad usually.

We have decided to do it more often though.

Hope you are well and happy!

Good to see you here x