Wednesday 6 June 2007

Dye Lots, Exams and Bolognese

Did I mention my Cascade yarn arrived? Well, had a look at it today and in daylight one of the silver skeins (btw, its a bit of an optimistic choice of shade name by the manufacturer, it is what I would call 'school sock grey') is definitely a different shade than the others. When I checked the label the dye lot number was different for that skein. It doesn't matter too much as I am felting but I was a little peeved as I payed for three skeins of it all at the same time and would expect it to all match - or am I just being pernickerty?

Fired off an e-mail and got one back apologising and offering me a 10% discount on my next purchase.

Whoopee-do. Good job I am not knitting a jumper, othewise they would have got the whole lot back.

Humpf.

Little one has just returned from sitting GCSE Science. Of my daughters she is most like me, so right-brained it is scary. She is incredibly clever at the subjects she likes - which tend to be arty or creative, but she doesn't find the ones that require a lot of logical thought processes quite so easy. Science seemed to go ok, well, she came in and announced that it was 'terrible', but on questioning she said that all her friends found it a hard paper so she didn't feel quite so bad. She said that there was a palpable tension in the room and the sound of rapidly flicked pages. According to her that is a sure sign of a baaaad paper.

Spag bol for her tonight - lots of carbs for energy for the English exam tomorrow. Like me she likes to write and is quite looking forward to the creative writing paper. Apparently they don't write a story like we had to but just do some descriptive writing - she enjoys that so I am hopeful she will sleep tonight.

Off to cook now. The exercise bicycle is looking at me with a nasty glint in its pedals. It knows already I am not going to trouble it too much I think :D

2 comments:

CraftyPerson said...

My "little one" is doing exams as well, including retaking GCSE Maths (poor thing) Why is everyone so obsessed with this subject. All the people I work with have got O level or GCSE Maths but they all come running to dumbo here if they want to know how to work something out in Exel or how many bits in a byte, megabytes in a Gig & Gigs in a TB!!!
So much for "must-have" exams!!!! I come from a family of 5, we are now a family of 5 so i don't need fractions just know that everyone gets a slice that's a bit smaller than 90deg!!

Jackie said...

I quite agree. The sort of maths they teach nowadays you will never use again unless you are some sort of maths boffin and then what do they do - probably teach other maths boffins to be.

When I was a gel we did arithmetic, much more useful. We learned how to work out Hire Purchase costs and the payments on 'Amortising Loans' (can you tell I went to a sink comp and they didn't have very high aspirations for us!) BUT it stood me in good stead for everyday life.

My 'little one' can do algebra and trigthingy but ask her what the change she should have from a fiver if something costs 2.75 she stands there looking blank :D

My mum was an arithmetic whizz, she worked for years as a barmaid in a pub and could add up multiple rounds in her head and keep tabs on them all. Genius. Must be all that Guinness she used to drink :D

I don't need fractions with the cake, I cut everyone a bit and eat whats left. Sorted.

Nice to see you here craftyperson. I will go and peek at your blog now.

This is so much fun :D