Monday 4 June 2007

More Aaagh's

Most confused. Heard about this adwords thing and thought 'why not'. Hmmn, am beginning to suspect why not. Its doing my head in, thats 'why not' :D

On a happier note had two lovely mails from my US friends today. Really brightens my day to receive a note. Like getting a letter used to when I was a child. Grown ups only get bills don't they....

Had a craft filled day, practised my watercolour, painted a water scene, some flowers and a cockerel. All fast as you like and impressionistic, trying not to get bogged down in the detail. Have a voucher for a landscape class, must take that sometime.

Also caught up with the dishcloth knitting, as I only joined yesterday I had to catch up from 1st June. Almost there. Have absolutely no idea what its going to be, which is great fun. Surprised how big it is. Not wanting to look a dunce by asking what I am supposed to do with the dishcloths, do you wash with them or dry with them? What I call a dishcloth is a small thing to wash up the dishes with. A tea-towel is what I would dry them with (if I did!) and even more confusingly there is talk in the group of giving them for people to wash themselves with. I would call that a 'flannel', which is strange because they are made from towelling. Perhaps they were flannel in the olden days. Mostly I am used to the differences in language between here and the US but sometimes I get confuddled.

Also baked some rock cakes, my daughter declares those her favourite cakes in the world, such simple things to make I had them done in just over half an hour. We nibbled them warm from the oven. She went off to her exam and I had a fight with myself to leave them alone. I lost the fight four times before she got home. My new medication makes me hungry all the time. Its torture to have a pile of fresh cakes, be hungry and know that I am going to be so sorry if I succumb.

Tomorrow I have to go into town, which I am not looking forward to but I have eldest coming home for a few days and I promised her a roast dinner, which is her favourite. I have the meat part but am lacking in veggies and they will expect a huge pile! I roast them all these days, potatoes, sweet potato, carrots, squash, the lot all go in the oven. I cook the green veg on the stove top but it saves so much time and washing up to just par-boil the rest and shove them in a roasting tray with some olive oil and maybe some herbs.

Those cakes are calling me again...............

Not sure whether to go back and fight with the ad-words again. Is it worth it?

4 comments:

hakucho said...

Rock Cakes? Are they like cup cakes? The name sounds very interesting. I don't have a clue as to what these cakes are?... I love finding new recipes so I hope you don't mind me asking!

Jackie said...

Hello Hakucho

No, I don't mind at all. I can give you the recipe if you like. They are a traditional English cake, one of the first things that us ladies of a certain age learned to cook at school!

I will post it on the blog for you.

Best wishes, Jackie x

Joanna said...

Hi Jackie, just checking out the blog, Jo from the Spinners & Weavers Yahoo group! I used to make Rock cakes most weeks in Home economics, I stick to butterfly cakes these days!

Jackie said...

Hello Jo, lovely to see you!

Oh, yes, Home Economics, I remember it well. Ha Ha. Our first lesson was how to make hot chocolate. I insisted on making it for my mum when I got home. They made us whisk it in a basin and transfer it back to the pan. I can remember mum's face when she saw the pile of washing up. We also had to learn how to iron and bath a baby, what a hoot that was.

Can't remember what the boys did but it was girls only that learned these things. How times have changed.

Now I really do sound like my mum, eeeek!

So glad to get some comments, it feels a bit like talking to yourself writing on here and its lovely to know that someone actually reads it.

Best wishes, jackie x