Friday 15 June 2007

Language

A 'discussion' on a yahoo group I belong to has led me to ponder more on the subject of language.

How the choice of one word can have ramifications that spread like ripples from a stone dropped into a pond.

How one word can cause upset, insecurities to surface and threats to be felt and why this should be, what made this one word so emotive?

Those that are creatively free and easy saw this one word as representing a block to their creativity, a repression, an anchor that would weigh them down.

I am an artist, creative, I do what I wish, that is art to me.


Those that wish to conform saw it as comforting, for their protection and were not about to discard their life-raft and become adrift in the lake of possibilities.

All that choice. I have to make up my own mind about what to do, its too scary, I need direction....

This one word gave more insight into the characters of those involved in the discussion than you would find in months of reading their posts.

What was the word? oh, it was 'rules'.

Words have power, use them carefully ;-)

No comments: